The fly fishing reel is the most traditional and oldest type of fishing reels. To this day, it still remains a pure way of catching freshwater fishes like trout, bass or even more exotic fish like tarpon or payara.
One of the main advantages of the fly reel is that it usually uses a lighter fishing rod that is more comfortable to use for an extended period.
If you are fresh on the market for a good fly fishing reel, we have exactly what you need! We have handpicked a few popular fly fishing reels and give you our impressions below. Remember. weight, simplicity, drag performance and price are what makes top fly fishing reel.
So read on and see what we recommend.
The Redington Zero is the lightest fly fishing reel in its class. Built with CNC numerical control machines, it is also equipped with a snap clutch.
It is the ideal fly trout reel for those looking for ultra lightness at an unbeatable price.
- ✅ The lightest reel in its class
- ✅ Unique construction, die-cast
- ✅ Ultra-light design
- ✅ Clutch with click system
- ✅ Quick reel change system
- ✅ Easily convertible for left and right recovery
- ✅ Soft and ergonomic button
- ✅ Large arbor design for quick recovery and reduce tail turns
- ⭕ Does not allow for drag adjustment.
Made of cast aluminum, it is lightweight, only 76 grams.
- Lightest reel in its class
- Unmachinable, unique die-cast construction, Super-lightweight design with quick-change spool, Easily converts to left or right hand retrieve
- Twin molded, soft-touch ergonomic handles, Spring loaded, clicker drag system
- LARGE arbor design speeds retrieve and reduces line memory
- Lifetime warranty
The Colorado LT reel is the new “featherweight” revisited of the legendary Colorado, with notable reinforcements and improvements.
Fifteen pieces in total give it elegant simplicity.
It is fully machined from aeronautical aluminum to ensure perfect solidity.
A well thought-out Arbor spool facilitates careful rewinding of the silk.
The anti-runaway ratchet braking system produces light, even pressure, perfectly suited to fine fishing.
If need be, you can “palm” on the reel for more braking pressure in combat action.
- ✅ Machined from aeronautical aluminum 6061-T651,
- ✅ Stainless steel ratchet brake,
- ✅ Instant reel change,
- ✅ Reversible right / left handed,
- ✅ Reinforced Bakelite crank,
- ✅ Matt black or Platinum anodized,
- ✅ List ItemSilk / Backing capacity: silk 3 to 4: 3 + 50 m 20 Lb
In no time, the Colorado LT won four prestigious awards for the best river reel of the year (IFTD, EFFTEX, Gear Guide, American Angler).
An ultra-light reel. the diameter has been increased, the recovery improved. The Sage Click is definitely the fly fishing reel with the most modern design offered by Sage.
Very light and wide concave coil to have a large capacity and reduce tail turns, adjustable Click clutch.
- ✅ Large arbor for perfect and quick recovery
- ✅ Concave coil for maximum capacity and rigidity
- ✅ Aluminum button machined from solid
- ✅ Ballisite neoprene reel seat with embroidered Sage logo
- ✅ Constructed of aerospace aluminum 6061-T6
- ✅ Easily convertible right-handed / left-handed. Supplied in a Sage neoprene protective pouch
- ⭕ Best but expensive
- Adjustable click and pawl drag design to prevent over-spooling
- Larger palming rim for greater control during the Fight
- Ultra-large arbor for fast line pick-up; concave arbor for greater strength and capacity
- Ergonomic handle
- Neoprene and embroidered Ballistic nylon reel case
ORVIS Battenkill reels combine simplicity of operation and design reliability. With its very sober and imperfect design, the ORVIS BATTENKILL reel is perfect for all situations encountered in fresh water. Machined from a very high quality aluminum bar for an extended lifespan, its classic design contrasts with its ultra-modern black-nickel shade.
The internal ratchet brake system is adjustable to 4 adjustable positions and works as anti-runaway to accompany the palm of your hand in case of a big rush!
Its spool is narrow to eliminate any phenomenon of tangling of the silk in the reel and its diameter is large enough for greater recovery.
Its featherweight perfectly balances short canes as modern ultra light canes. The crank adjusts easily on the right as on the left.
The Orvis BATTENKILL II reel can hold lines 3 to 5 for typical use in rivers.
- ✅ 4 position drag
- ✅ Less line stacking.
- ✅ Lightweight.
- ✅ Fast retrieval.
- ✅ Black Nickel machined aluminum frame
- ✅ Adjustable ratchet brake
- ⭕ Somewhat limited durability.
- Free Standard Shipping on all Orvis Products! Expires 12/19/16.
This is the most iconic fly reel in the United States. The new Pflueger® Medalist fly reel with standard hub is made entirely of machined aluminum and features a multi-position ratchet system. Be sure to get this modern classic.
- ✅ Machined aluminum – high quality frame and drum precision machined
- ✅ Standard hub – large capacity spare drum
- ✅ Stop Ratchet – Mechanism Producing Precise Clicking
- ✅ Very durable.
- ✅High capacity spool.
- ✅ Polymer crank – classic lightness and durability
- ✅Left or right hand recovery – convertible handle
- ⭕ Changing the spool takes a little work.
- ⭕ Drag is not adjustable.
- Machined aluminum - high grade, precision Machined frame and spool
- Standard arbor - high backing capacity spool
- Click and pawl - precision click check mechanism
- Polymer handle - classic lightweight durability
- Left/right hand Retrieve - convertible Retrieve
WELL, above are the five best ultralight reels that our experts judged to be the best ranked in the fly fishing market, now it’s your turn to be sure of our ranking, have fun